Just one person's tale to tell....

I am a 35-year-old journalist who has decided there is no better way to overcome difficult times than to write--feel free to post, comment or just read along. This is my blog about the struggles I endured of trying to conceive. For all those out there who are experiencing the same difficulties--sometimes it is nice to hear that you are not alone.
"I have not failed 10000 times; I have successfully found 10000 ways that do not work." ~ Thomas Edison


Wednesday, April 21, 2010

To pee or not to pee


After my DH and I had been TTC for about five months I started to chart my BBT. I figured paying the $18.99 for a basal thermometer was cheaper than paying for the Ovulation Kits. After six months of charting (that shows I am obviously ovulating monthly around day 16-17) I decided I wanted to be sure of when exactly that lil 24 hour window was opening.
So I purchased my first OPK at a whopping $56.99 for seven sticks to pee on! My DH wasn't thrilled with the price but agreed it was our next step. I do not even want to calculate the amount of money I have spent over the last year and a half on OPKs and HPTs---ughhhh it will honestly make me sick---but the question out there is how many of us can afford these outrageous prices!
Luckily, after hearing my disgruntled comments a girlfriend of mine in Ottawa, who at the time was also on Clomid, knew of a place that sold both OPK and HPT at a discounted price (they are the same sticks that the hospitals would use and are extremely accurate)---about $0.50 a stick---NOW they don't come with your fancy pee-in-stream ability or tell you if you are 1 or 2 weeks pregnant--but it doesn't take much to pee in a cup and dip especially if it takes the financial burden off your mind a little. (see above photo--which shows a postive OPK)
Throughout my Clomid cycles I have chosen to keep on peeing on the sticks--from day 10 onward until ovulation. I can honestly say if I had to pay $50 on top of my already $90/month pills (that are not covered by insurance) I'm not sure if I would be peeing as frequently.
When it comes to HPT--I've been guilty of doing one or two (or three) just to confirm that I didn't miss that second line somewhere :)
Anyone that is looking for these sticks--let me know as I regularly buy large bundles of both tests. I am currently looking to see if any stores in Toronto are selling these and if so I will post a link. Also, some women on the fertiltiy forums have also found HPT at various dollar stores--although I have not tried them myself so I cannot comment on how well they work.


No comments:

Post a Comment