Just one person's tale to tell....

I am a 35-year-old journalist who has decided there is no better way to overcome difficult times than to write--feel free to post, comment or just read along. This is my blog about the struggles I endured of trying to conceive. For all those out there who are experiencing the same difficulties--sometimes it is nice to hear that you are not alone.
"I have not failed 10000 times; I have successfully found 10000 ways that do not work." ~ Thomas Edison


Wednesday, August 25, 2010

Prometrium..ohh what joy!

As most IVFers know that as soon as you do your egg retrieval your clinic will start you on prometrium--or some a drug form of progesterone. These are little pellet pills that you have to insert (with no applicator) three times a day--two pills each time! and of course just like canesten...you get a pretty gross elmer glue discharge (sorry for grossness but you should be warned-right!)
These pills have to be inserted until you are 10 weeks pregnant so I only have FOUR WEEKS LEFT..*sigh*.
I know they are doing their job and keeping my lil bean or beans snug in my uterus --as it thickens your uterus lining--but I'm not going to lie, I will be extremely happy when I no longer have to pop these puppies in there.
I have to take mine at 7 a.m., 3 p.m. (at work!) and then 11 p.m.--and since I've been pretty exhausted during these first few weeks but DH has been amazing at waking me up at 11 p.m. so that we stay on schedule. Its usually pretty funny because I'm half asleep in a zombie state while I trek off to the bathroom with pills in hand.
Also I've heard from a few friends that prometrium can be prescribed for those women who have experienced miscarriages--and they do take the pills until 10 weeks.
Some women on my fertility form have been taking an different brand--Endometrin "effervescent vaginal tablets...and they come with an applicator!!! Apparently they dissolve quicker and produce less of a discharge. The only downfall is they are considered a reproductive pharmaceutical so if you are not covered for fertility drugs you will have to pay for the full prescription. We unfortunately do not have fertility drug coverage but our prometrium is covered under my regular drug plan---so looks like I'm stuck with elmers glue!! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment